Skip to main content

Considering the future and the past

This week's readings and assignments have caused me to evaluate what I want in life. They have challenged me to more deeply evaluate the depth of my goals and to determine what I mean when I say I want to work for myself.
I've been presented with the stark reality that time is a finite resource, and that I need to get moving if I'm to make the most of it. I've been challenged to consider what my true priorities are and to face the fact that sacrifices will have to be made.
This all has given me greater clarity about my current position on my journey and have inspired questions about what I want from life and to determine how I intend to attain it.

As I began to write my Stars & Stepingtones assignment, I jumped right in with my top priority being to retire by 40. But as I considered my guarails, I realized that to do that, I'd have to sacrifice much of my time during my children's younger years. Upon considering this, I found that early retirement and financial freedom aren't my top goals after all. I had to readjust. As much as I want freedom and time to do what I want to with my life, I don't want to lose those precious years.
So, I'll have to slow down a bit. I might not be able to retire very early. I may not have the financial freedom to fulfill all my wishes, but I'm ok with that. I still will seek for it, but I won't sacrifice time with my children on a daily basis for it. My good-dad guardrail means I'll be home every day to spend a few hours with my kids. That's where the most important value is, and it's the best investment I could make.

So, I'll keep going. I'm going to finish this degree, and I'm going to get good at my job at Walmart. I'm going to learn to be my own master, and then we'll see. I'm not giving up on going my own way, but I've got a solid check in place now. I think I had it anyway, but its' firm now.

The assignment this week also calls for me to answer a few questions here. Here they are:

  • Why do you think Randy Pausch was able to achieve so many of his childhood dreams?

    Randy achieved his dreams because he saw and ceased opportunities to fulfill them. He knew the things he wanted to do, so when a chance came, he was able to pursue it with vigor and attain it.
  • Do you feel that dreaming is important? Why or why not?

    Of course! Everyone has to have goals and things that make them happy. If you don't have a dream then your life will pass you by and you'll be left wondering what the point was, or filled with regret for a life unlived. That's what all the quotes say, isn't it? Seems pretty obvious to me that a life is meant to be filled, not merely survived.
  • Discuss at least one of your childhood dreams. Explain why you believe you can or cannot achieve this dream.

    I'd love to invent something of use. I've always been a tinkerer, and gifted with finding solutions to technical issues. I expect I'll manage it. There are plenty of things that need improvement, even in this time of high technology. I've got a solid skill set, and a good idea of where I can apply it where others won't think or care to.

Comments