Skip to main content

Not what you're expecting, probably.

Well, this probably won't be what you're expecting. A big part of my goal in taking this class was not only to learn about entrepreneurship, but to determine if it's something I want, and something I'm capable of.
I've been learning so much, and I know things about myself that I didn't before. I feel more capable, more ambitious, and more self aware. It's that last one though that's tripping me up right now.
I know that I can become whatever I want to be, but the truth of the time commitment to starting a company is evident in every reading and every video we watch. I'm not sure if I'm on board with that.
My entire goal here is to attain greater use of my time. Yet, everyone I read about talks about how these insane numbers of hours worked nonchalantly, like it's nothing to them. I suppose that could be because they've found a calling, and I haven't yet, but I don't want to work late into the night and on Saturdays. I want to pursue my interests and spend time with my wife and kids and share my interests with them and take part in theirs.
In addition, I don't feel like this lifestyle calls to me like it's supposedly supposed to. It's a means to an end, and a path of freedom from corporate bondage. I'm passionate about freedom, but not necessarily about business.
I want to find success, but I'm beginning to feel that my role will be as a supporting and technical partner, not a founder or CEO. And ya know what, I'm ok with that! I am willing to work with someone who has the other skills and allow them to have the bigger piece of the pie.

I can give up a lot of time, but not all of it. I need to keep things in balance there. I'm unwilling to allow my career to consume my life and don't feel enough passion to drive me to the levels of hard work that seem to be required. Does that mean I can't be an entrepreneur?

Comments